Sunday, April 11, 2010

& then everybody died. the end.

spoiler alert?
I think Hamlet's been around long enough for that not to matter anymore.


There are some pretty classic lines in Hamlet.

"Frailty, thy name is woman!"

"To be, or not to be, that is the question,
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them."

"There's a divinity that shapes our ends,
Rough-hew them how we will."


I've heard many of these things before, but I am ever so glad that I read the play in its entirety. It's inevitably better to experience something yourself than to have it explained to you. Unless the explainer is a master storyteller.

Polonius: What do you read, my lord?
Hamlet: Words, words, words.

I read half of the editors introduction to the play. Let's face it, introductions aren't that interesting. It was going on and on about translations and historical imperatives and such drivel, but amongst all of that I got the impression that an interpretation of Hamlet is something attempted by everyone who's ever read it.

So, to disprove this theory, I shall not interpret the story.

I would just like to say, I very much enjoyed it, even though the ending sucked. It's Shakespeare, what should I have expected?

I'm thinking I may read more from the guy...I guess I've always been too intimidated by anthological volumes and frill-filled portraits.


Song [playing on my iPod right now]: You Don't Know Me - Ben Folds & Regina Spektor

Tomorrow: a photo blog. fizinally.

1 comment:

A&A said...

:sigh of bliss: Shakespeare . . . much, much love.

That being said, while the language and quotability of Hamlet is rad, I don't really like it as a play. The plot is unnecessarily complicated with bizarre contrivances, and, I don't know, am I hipster snob for thinking it's overrated? The story, it just pains me.

But the beauty of the lines: like whoa. Polonius = rofl. Actually, the whole play is pretty hilarious and clever. Except for the plot. IMHO. & stuff.