Sunday, April 25, 2010

[Related Works]

I remember when we were little my siblings and I were sometimes only allowed to be outside on the porch.

I really don't remember why.

But what I do recall is that we would walk into the street and say "the porch is connected to the walkway that's connected to the street, so...we're still on the porch!"

Okay, maybe this was just me. Honestly, I was a weird kid.


But, anyway, I wanted to talk about interconnectivity.
Specifically the interconnectivity of the gospel to our lives.

God is everywhere, and our thoughts should be centered on Him at every moment. That means that no matter what we encounter in this world it should remind us of Him and the work He has done and is doing. [Okay, wait, God's out of time, therefore, it's only "the work He is doing"...okay]

But oftentimes my thoughts are filled with other things, stories, ideas, loves, fears, SAT preparations. Does this mean God is not in those things? Or involved in them in any way? Of course not. Now I'm not saying that God is "in everything" as in...this piece of Play Doh and this roll of paper towels and this Fajita Seasoning on the table here are all God...but that He is the ruler and creator of all things, and therefore the One we must abide in at every moment.

"You know what the entire job description
of a Christian is? Abide." -Eric Ludy

But...what about impromptu speeches and SAT essays?
This is my question: just because God is everywhere, and part of everything, and should be dwelt on with every thought...does that mean that we must speak of Him with every breath?

Should I write my SAT essay on the topic of, say, "trust" and talk about how much I trust my Savior? Or should I not mention Him at all?

It's easy to make fun of the people who always have a point in their impromptu speeches about God. "Jesus" becomes cliché. Well...maybe we don't always have to talk about Him. I mean, our acknowledging His presence doesn't make Him any more present.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to
worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling
the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." -C.S. Lewis

Am I justified in talking about real concrete things, philosophy, difficult situations, issues...without directly mentioning the Lord? He seems to be a force that is called upon in the most desperate of circumstances, and left by the wayside when little things crop up.

Oh, but...oh.
I don't believe He should ever be ignored by His children. We are the here to run the race He has set us on. & He is always there for us. (& we fail so miserably at attempting to do the same for Him) We need only to call on His name, to recognize his presence. A friend of mine was having computer trouble, and he prayed over his computer and I...wanted to laugh at him, just because it's a silly little thing.

But nothing is silly and little. Everything is His.

But even if I did resolve to speak every thought, every word, for Him...I feel as if I would fail. As I have so many times in the past.

My thoughts are disjointed at this point, and I feel like this would've made a better video blog. Especially because I would've been able to use Play Doh. But, oh well, I shall leave you with my rambling of uncertainty.

Song [that you probably don't like, but the video's funny]: Burnin' Up - Jonas Brothers (video by Judith)

Tomorrow: Waiting.

2 comments:

Art said...

I feel like my homeschool convention is so much lamer because we've never had a teen track (or at least not while I've been around). (and that statement relates because of the Eric Ludy quote)

Hm... about SAT essays and conversation: I don't think you need to always be talking about God. But thinking of him, dwelling on him? I wonder... can we dwell in God without always dwelling on him? I think about having to focus on, say, physics. Or math. Or writing an essay. Maybe it is possible to always focus on God. I don't know.

Unknown said...

like the professors at Covenant say all the time:
we have to remember that "There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry: 'Mine!'"
-Abraham Kuyper
;)