Saturday, April 24, 2010

stuff i usually just try not to think about...[/war]

Okay, I've been reading "All Quiet On The Western Front" this week and it just reminded me of some questions I've often heard...


Is war ever justified?


What is the validity of pacifism?


Should Christians be soldiers?


God said "thou shalt not murder" yet aided Israel in the slaughter of thousands?
I know killing isn't the same as murdering.
But...

"Whoever sheds man's blood,
By man his blood shall be shed,
For in the image of God
He made man." {Genesis 9:6}

Doesn't this automatic sacredness of every life mean that any taking of a man's life is murder? And thus, in the sight of God, sin? But why then would God lead His people in war against the nations?


Self-defense is considered a justifiable homicide. At least, according to the 5,423 Law & Order episodes I've seen.* What's the biblical perspective on self-defensive killing? I feel like there's something in Leviticus about this.

A spider is walking across the ground next to me. I think I will kill it.

Song I Can't Stop Listening to: I Was Once A Loyal Lover - Death Cab for Cutie

Tomorrow: Related Works.

*slightly inflated numbers

1 comment:

A&A said...

If we were pure we'd never had to think about such gly things . . . :sobriety: