Friday, April 2, 2010

BEDA

My April Fools was that I was not doing Blog Every Day in April.

Unfortunately, that meant I had to fail the very first day.

Oh well. It was worth it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"The thing you fear is impossible. Well and good. Can you therefore cease to fear it? Not here and now. And what then? If you must see ghosts, it is better not to disbelieve in them."

I've been reading That Hideous Strength for the past week. & I've been fearing things...all my life.

Fear is a powerful motivator for demotivation. Especially irrational fears. Even when we recognize these things as irrational, why do we continue to fear them?

I think it's like The Wizard of Oz.

I can't believe I just said that. But, bear with me, it makes sense (sorta). The wizard isn't really a wizard at all, he's a professor from Kansas. But the fancy of the story isn't broken when you learn this, you still believe in the magic; the scarecrow found his brain, the tin man, a heart and the lion, courage. Their self-motivated success is a replacement for the belief in the all-powerful Wizard, when he turns out to be just a man behind a curtain.

So it is with irrational fears. Are we afraid of monsters in the dark, or tripping and falling flat on our faces...in the dark? We may say there's no reason to live in trepidation of the bogeyman or alien invasions, and yet we are sometimes unable to stop our hearts from beating quicker at the thought of approaching darkness or unidentified flying objects.

Perhaps we have replaced our knowledge of our total inadequacy to fight anything in the dark with an impossible monster. Monsters are smaller than our weakness.

Maybe I'm so scared of stupid things because I don't want to face the fact that if I rely on myself I will never overcome anything. I am so weak.

I have a feeling this isn't making a lot of sense, so that's obviously the best place to leave off.

[click to see the picture, if my blog layout is being lame again]

Song I can't stop listening to: Gimme Sympathy by Metric
Tomorrow: Twitter

1 comment:

Hannah said...

"Monsters are smaller than our weakness... if I rely on myself I will never overcome anything."

=) yesss (there's a good bit of syllogism behind that yes... but yes!)

2 Corinthians, 1Timothy, and Andrew Murray are like a megaphone in my mind right now...as are biscuit cans :P "fear is one of the greatest forms of pride, and pride is the essence of unbelief" - something I've been mulling over in my mind and have been humbled a lot through.

Alien Invasions ftw

(btw, it makes a lot of sense)