Monday, April 19, 2010

in which my thoughts are rambly...

Those of you who saw/read my persuasive last year know that I'm not the biggest fan of the implications of the word "tolerance".

But, of course, on principle, I fiercely believe in tolerance, in the way that it's the opposite of intolerance. Intolerance disgusts me. & it's one of the only things I find intolerable in others. [Which...I guess...is really hypocritical :P]

Perhaps it's naive of me to believe the best of the people that I encounter, to give everyone a second and third and fourth chance, to prefer assumptions of pure motive. But I feel as if it's my duty as a person to love...well...everyone.


This doesn't make love any less sincere, it simply means that I search for and long to find the lovable in everyone. I remember Grace discussing a while back what the worth is in every person. Correct me if I'm wrong hermana, but it was something like...since everyone is created in God's image, there is inherent value in every person.

That's why I'm a little perturbed by both intolerance and tolerance alike. Neither allows for much love.


When it comes to practices like lasciviousness, dishonesty, homosexuality, idolatry...these should not be things that we just generally accept, this point I agree on. But with this belief often comes a confusion as to how we should treat those who participate in said practices. Love is left by the wayside.


Maybe I talk too much about love, maybe everyone does. But even if this doesn't tell you anything you didn't already know...at least I am reminded. And I think by reminding myself of the foundation of care and concern my actions should be based on, I am working towards an imitation of Christ.

This imitation will be shoddy at best, if I'm the only one trying. But I am being refined by One who is not limited by the frail corrupted part of humanity. His unbound humanity and unmatched deity make up for more offenses than I could ever commit (and that's a lot).


I am grateful today, that even though I've been feeling really under the weather lately, I'm still happy and content. At peace to live in God's arms. [but I must continue to be reminded to strive to be...better]


Tomorrow: Surety.

4 comments:

Caitriona said...

No my love, this was not a ramble, this was a post written with a passion for loving people well. I am proud to call you my daughter.

Mum

Bethany Sherman said...

I totally agree with your mom there!
You actually reminded me to love today!!! So thank you Kmac! :-)
Love you bunches! And I miss you tons!!

A&A said...

You can never talk about love enough.

Art said...

<3



(another thing...I'm not quite sure I understand how tolerance doesn't allow for love, and I wonder if you'd mind explaining for me)