Thursday, April 8, 2010

If Your Heart's In The Right Place [Home.]

At the moment, I'm sitting in my kitchen. This room has some pretty gaudy flower wallpaper from the 50's, a light-switch that flips the wrong way, cabinets whose pale yellow color matches my skin tone on a sick day and windows overlooking the bird-feeder collection. And it lacks a dishwasher. But it makes me smile, because it's home.


For a while now, it's been easy for me to call any place "home". I've lived in 17 (18? um...?) different homes in the past 7 years. They've all had their quirks (and, in some of the cookie-cutter Florida apartments, their...lack of quirks) but they've all meant something to me. It's not like I'm particularly attached to any place we've lived, but...wherever we lived at any moment, I think God gave me the grace to call it "home" and mean it.


This phenomenon carried over a little oddly when I toured with Communicators For Christ this past fall, every week a new place to sleep and new people and new experiences. And yet...everywhere felt like home.

This could, of course, be easily explained by the fact that I was with some of the most amazing people in the universe.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
"If home is where the heart is, then my home is where you are."

I must've been given more heart than I ever thought possible. Because...my heart is with so many people. & So I think I can find a home anywhere. Because I can find someone I love anywhere (practically). Also because I miraculously find something homey about every place I inhabit.

This will probably make eventual house-hunting fairly easy.


Song [quoted in this post]: I'm Taking You With Me - Relient K

Tomorrow: TV Theme Songs (it'll probably be as lame as you think)

3 comments:

A&A said...

"(and, in some of the cookie-cutter Florida apartments, their...lack of quirks)" [/Paper Towns]

Therein is the "secret" of contentment.

Michael Au-Mullaney said...

Dude, that quote is from a reliant K song? I thought it was from some flair making overly sentimental teen on Facebook. ;)

I completely agree with this. In all the times we've traveled I don't think I ever really felt "out of place". Hum.

Bethany Sherman said...

Awww I love that picture! You guys are amazing! I miss you now even more!