Tuesday, July 13, 2010

to forgive or to overlook?

A few conversations I had this past week at ICC Summer Camp (which was awesome, by the way) brought this subject to mind.


When you love someone is it easier to forgive or to overlook?

Forgiveness is...cleansing. Complete recompense in spirit.


Whereas overlooking doesn't always mean the same thing.


"Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." (Ephesians 4:30-32)


I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here, or what I'm trying to figure out, but I owe ya'll a blog BIG TIME, so, here you go, this is the best I could do ;)


Song I'm listening to: I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) - Meat Loaf

3 comments:

Caitriona said...

To forgive is to give up our right to hold onto the offense. To overlook can be done externally while still giving us the option of holding onto it internally. So for me to properly overlook, I must forgive from my heart. Thanks for something to chew on.

Echoes in Ink said...

My dear Rock Star, I'm so proud of you. It took you a while, but it was worth it.

Forgiveness is where compassion and justice meet, I think.

Unknown said...

Wow! Great post! Whether you love someone or not, it seems like it is always easier to overlook than forgive. Forgiving involves...gulp....confrontation. Yuck. Makes me want to throw up zuchinni soup. BUT...like the soup...it is good for us in the end. Better than the canned tomato soup, even though the tomato soup is easier to stomach. ;) Like the blog!