Monday, June 28, 2010

are we drawn to our callings? (like an apple tree, i'm pretty sure you'll see)

Hey.


I've been thinking a lot about...callings. Many people claim to know what they are called to do, even while a lot of people are confused and have no idea.

In terms of education, knowing what my calling is would probably help me to decide what to study, huh?


Can a calling be...something you love to do, want to do, feel led to do? Some sort of combination of the three?

I'm too tired to actually write down some well-thought out answer to the question. So, obviously, I'll just let ya'll answer. What do you think?

I think...
hm...
I believe God has a calling for everyone. For sure.
How easy it is to recognize that...is another story.

& what if a person's calling contradicts their "life plan"? Does that mean all the planning and training was for naught? No, I know it doesn't because everything we experience is important in shaping who we are...

Yup, still really tired.

The bible clearly teaches that God works in the hearts of His creatures. If my heart is moved in a certain direction, does that mean I should follow it no matter what?

Then of course, the heart is a deceitful thing.

Oh, fooey. Goodnight.

5 comments:

Caitriona said...

In spite of you being tired, I think what you are asking is a really important question. One that I have been thinking about too as we are launching birds out of the nest rather quickly. Although, by the looks of it, wherever the nest is the three of you still return pretty regularly. So part of my calling is to still keep the nest warm and welcoming. The other part I am still figuring it out. Is motherhood a gift or a calling? I think it is a gift, one that is continually changing and growing. Just one initial thought but a thought nevertheless.

Bethany Sherman said...

Ummm that is a very good question, I don't know if I have the answers but..... I think sometimes a calling could be something that you like to do, drawn to, and feel led to do! :) That's what I think! :p
And it's not always easy to figure out what your calling is in life.... That is why we _need_ to seek God!!! :)
But it is a very good question! :) I have thought about this one several times before! =)
Love you!

Bethany Sherman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Art said...

I promise I made my video before I read this.

Avery said...

Hmmmm... I wonder that a lot too. I think that God has a calling for everyone, but I think the process of figuring it out and choosing to follow it helps to prepare us for our place, and helps us feel more settled in it. I don't really know though... just some thoughts.

I really like your blog btw :)