Friday, April 18, 2008

The Sog


It all started when I poured myself a BIG bowl of
cereal for breakfast. Now, there's only one problem
with having a BIG bowl, besides the obvious calorie
increase, and that problem is what I like to call
'The Sog'. Every bowl of cereal has layers, like an
onion split in two, the bottom-most layer in this case
is ignored until the many, many layers above it are
eaten, and then The Sog swoops in to contaminate the
eaters mouth with a breakfast food that was never meant
to be mushy, but somehow ended up that way. This is
especially grotesque to the eater if they happen to be
reading at the time, the paper, a magazine, whatever,
the shock sets in as soon as Sog infected edibles reach
the tongue, and slide slimily down the throat.
And so my daily sog began, starting with not just
a warm shower, or slightly damp pillowcase, but with
a rancid, runny, smushy substance known as...My Cereal.

[I had a totally different long post planned out for this week, but somehow didn't find the time to write it. I felt, however, that if you promised me to read once a week I should let you. So you get a random story about cereal.]
But I'd also like to leave you with something I was reminded of in Church on Sunday:
Are you willing?
In Matthew 5:44 Jesus says: "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,"
And then in John 15:12-13 "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends"

The greatest love is to lay down ones life. Are you willing to do that for your enemies?
Just something I was wondering about...

2 comments:

Eric said...

Interesting Katie. personally, I go for the mixture of the botom and top of the bowl. granted, I have a larger mouth, but it still works for me....

who eats the top alone anyways? I mean, the logic of it all is just abnormal! You seriously should get a more shallow bowl or something to aid you with this problem.

Aside that, you should eat faster. You avoid this "Sog" if you eat faster and in the theoretical way of bottom and top at the same time. Cereal should take about three-six minutes to "sogify" and you should be able to get through it in that time.

Smoothie Girl said...

Eric is so right. :-p

Really a very enjoyable post, Katie! Although I must say that I've loved everything I've ever read that you wrote...you're just a phenomenal writer! :D